Wednesday, September 10, 2008

HELP!! MY PEN IS STUCK!!


It was bound to happen sooner or later! I finally hit that brick wall that I've so often heard talked about that happens to writers. These last few days I've been dealing with a mild case of writer's block.

I'm down to my last 5 chapters and I know basically what those chapters will consist of. After all, I've outlined them for crying out loud and there should be no excuse for this. But of late my flow has been off. The past two nights I've sat down to write and my normal 'words are flowing from me with ease' routine has been halted. The words just won't come. Maybe I'm getting too anxious to finish & I'm pushing myself unnecessarily. I know from my experience of writing over my lifetime that I don't write effectively or very well when I try to force the issue. It never works for me. Some folks can take a writing prompt and off they go, writing to their heart's delight. Not me. I have to FEEL what I'm writing or it just doesn't work.

As I get closer to THE END, I have found myself growing anxious just thinking about the unexpected....the editing process, the feedback I'll get from a few selected readers I've chosen to pre-read my book, and then comes the proposal letter and pitching to publishers, hoping one of them will like my work enough to want to pay me big bucks for it so others will have the opportunity to read it! My heart is literally racing as I write this! I have a funny feeling I have yet to discover the rollercoaster of emotion that will be revealed as this whole process unfolds.

I think I'll take a few days downtime away from the computer to allow myself the opportunity to recharge and re-energize in hopes that it will get the creative juices flowing again. It's important to take care of me first...or there will be no final chapters. Who knows maybe I'll have the remainder of the book cranked out in no time. Stay tuned....

1 comment:

Annie said...

Don't worry. It will come provided you don't push it for a while. Take time out to do something else and don't think too far ahead! Time will pass whatever you do or don't do. Relax and suddenly all will become clear.